Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I have no words

           Competitive sports are not for the weak at heart.  It amazes me how tough my kids are because I have to bite my tongue more times than not.  You will have parents and kids say cruel things.  You will see parents act like lunatics.  And some coach’s behavior is just, well, if you don’t laugh you might cry.  Sometimes I worry these people are going to bust a vein over these games.

           I had a coach tell me that my son was a “serious athlete”, but he needed to gain some weight.  He advised me to begin giving him protein shakes.  He did warn me to be careful of the amount since they can be hard on his liver.  My son was 8 years old at the time.  Correct me if I am wrong, but i’ve always heard the liver is kind of an important organ, one of those you can’t live with out.  We passed on the shakes.

          Upon going to our first cheer competition I was bombarded by a multitude of skin baring uniforms on small children.  I had to pay extra for the length of our cheer skirts, so they were age appropriate.  Well not everyone sees this as important.  Nothing like a 6 year old in a two-piece cheer uniform.  At least the judges make the older girls remove the belly button rings before competition.   Seriously, just because you can pierce it does not mean you should.

          I have had parents tell me my kids were not good enough to make certain teams.  I have heard complaints over my kid’s performance; I have learned to roll my eyes.   I think it is a good thing to have no words, because the ones I do have are not very constructive.

No comments:

Post a Comment